From many thousands of years women & children have been subjected to violence. Every week around the world including Bangladesh countless women & children (girls and boys) are suffering from violence. In most cases boys and men are the perpetrators of violence knowingly and unknowingly. However, this is not the inherent characters of male.
There are lots of organizations working on women and children rights and different networks addressing to stop violence against women and children (girls and boys) in local and national level. Without partnering with boys and men it is merely not possible to reach the goal of creating a gender-equitable society. There are few numbers of organizations addressing violence involving boys and men. Like other countries some like-minded organizations in Bangladesh have expressed their solidarity to work in the campaign known as the White Ribbon Campaign to prevent all forms of violence against women and children, and other men as an added force in… This coalition took the form of a network named Campaign to work with boys and men – A National Network in Bangladesh since 2006 which was again renamed as “Engage Men & Boys: Network for promoting gender justice” in 2011. This network is governed by its management guideline.
Purpose of the Network
The purpose of the network is to engage boys and men to stand up against social injustice due to the power structure through building a coalition of organizations and individuals. This coalition will work as a catalyst to break the traditional beliefs, norms and values which perpetuates cycle of violence.
Vision of the Network
Engage men and boys to promote human values and positive practices to change attitude and behaviour to end GBV/violence against women in order to ensure gender justice.
- To establish active linkages (local, national and global) to raise men and boys’ voices and action on gender-based violence/VAW
- Advocacy and lobby for ensuring action to engage men and boys to address gender-based violence
- To develop knowledge base on men & masculinity through research and study etc.
- Campaign to change structural and behavioural barriers to ensure gender justice.
- To establish alliance with feminist movement and social justice movement to ensure gender justice
Goal: by 2020
The engage men boys network is actively engaged & working on feminist-informed and gender transformative approaches on men’s and boys’ roles, attitudes & responsibilities related to sexual and gender-based violence, sexual and reproductive health and rights, men in care work, and youth leadership for gender justice in Bangladesh.
Long term (2019-2025) expectation of the network “engage men & boys – promoting gender justice”
- Significant number of men and boys involvement in reducing and ending gender-based violence/violence against women
- Increased human values manifested in men and boys
- More positive masculinity practiced in our society
- Social protection developed for gender justice
- Ensured access to sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Established shared responsibility for unpaid care and domestic work
- Increased women’s participation in decision making process
- Youth leadership for gender justice
- Network receives credibility from all levels – national, international, government, etc.
National Coordinator-MenEngage Bangladesh Network
Save the Children