MenEngage Nigeria started in July 2018 under the Secretariat of Society for the Empowerment of Rural People (SIRP). Founded in 1988, SIRP is committed to working with rural people towards poverty alleviation and their overall empowerment in a sustainable manner.
The organisation pursues its vision with a clear vision, which is “to be a civil society organisation role model in providing voice and services to the less privileged and vulnerable segments of society.”
And its mission is “to promote quality service delivery that would improve the living conditions of the people, while ensuring true partnership, accountability and good governance.”
SIRP works in the areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment, HIV and AIDS, sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHR), drug demand reduction through prevention, education and awareness, HIV Counselling and Testing (HCT), treatment and referrals.
News on engaging men and boys in Nigeria
16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence 2019
Nigerian members have been working across media, politics, and in local communities: campaigning to end FGM, training institutions on gender-based violence and the importance of ending menstrual poverty, and visiting state agenvies to talk about AIDS, domestic violence, and the role of men in preventing GBV.
- 25th November-10th December: Social media campaign against rape, FGM, and other gender-based violence
- December 8-10th, Lagos, Enugu, and Kano: Media advocacy on Radio: GBV, Gender, HIV, formal launch of White Ribbon campaign.
- November 27th and 30th, Lagos and Enugu: Conference on free trade agreement for Youth Empowerment, training on preparation and use of reuseable sanitary products to prevent menstrual poverty among adolescent girls.
- November 30th – December 2nd, Lagos, Enugu, and Kano: Advocacy visits to institutions: interactive and Q&A sessions on GBV, and training of adolescent girls.
- November 26th, 28th, and 29th, Lagos and Kano: Focal group discussion with members of the Young Men Network Against Gender Based Violence, including interactive and Q&A sessions.
- December 3rd-5th, Kano: Advocacy visits to Ministry of Women’s Affairs and Social Development, Ministry of Justice, and the Kano State House of Assembly.
- December 6-8th, Lagos and Kano: Visit to the Kano State Agency for the control of AIDS (KSACA), and Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team (DSVRT) in Lagos.
- December 8-10th, Lagos: Press release, opinion articles to engage mass audience on social issues.
Q+A with Dr Chris Ugwu, Co-Ordinator of MenEngage Nigeria
Nigeria is the latest and newest country to start a MenEngage network in Africa. Established by the Society for the Improvement of Rural People (SIRP Nigeria), the network joined the Alliance in July 2018. In our effort to introduce the network to our partners and friends, we asked Dr Chris Ugwu, Executive Director of SIRP Nigeria and Co-Ordinator of MenEngage Nigeria five questions about the network. We hope the answers will provide you some insight into the newest member of our family.