A video in which male-identified members of MenEngage Alliance share why they support access to legal, safe abortion everywhere. The video calls on other men to speak up and act as accountable allies for bodily autonomy and safe abortion.
The video messages were a response to calls from the International Safe Abortion Day campaign to mobilize networks and to be unapologetically vocal in support of the issue. The campaign, which culminates around September 28th each year, also aims to reduce stigma and challenge misinformation about abortion around the world.
As MenEngage Alliance, we aim to center the rights of women and those who can become pregnant to choose and access safe and legal abortion.
Who will find this resource useful?
This video is a useful resource for those working with men and boys to demonstrate accountable male allyship on the topic of abortion. It can be used as a tool to encourage and mobilize men and boys to become more vocal in support of the rights of women and those who can become pregnant to decide on their essential healthcare needs.
In addition, it can be used as an advocacy tool calling on male-identified policy makers to support access to safe, legal abortion services.
Find out more
Find out more about the work of MenEngage Alliance in support of abortion as part of our work on sexual and reproductive health and rights at our SRHR page.
Further readings on how to speak up for safe abortion, and male allyship on the issue:
- A guide on how to talk about abortion through rights-based messaging (International Planned Parenthood Federation)
- How to report on abortion factsheet, including do-s and dont-s (International Planned Parenthood Federation)
- Millions of men support our abortion rights. We need to help them become stronger allies (Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett, The Guardian)
- Roe v Wade: men benefit from abortion rights too – and should speak about them more (Stephen Burrell and Sandy Ruxton, Center for Research into Violence and Abuse, Durham University)
About the authors
For International Safe Abortion Day 2022, an ad-hoc MenEngage Alliance Working Group was set up to explore how we can mobilize as a global community to support the campaign. This video is a compilation of the messages that were recorded as part of this. With thanks to those who recorded messages:
- Craig Norberg-Bohm, North America MenEngage Network
- Bafana Khumalo, Co-chair of MenEngage Alliance, Executive Director of Sonke Gender Justice
- Laxman Belbase, co-director, MenEngage Alliance
- Hakiem Lalmahomed
- Fidèle Rutayirse, Rwanda Men’s Resource Centre
- Oswaldo Montoya, Networks Associate, MenEngage Alliance
- Stephen Burrell PhD, Centre for Research into Violence and Abuse, University of Durham
- Darío Ibarra Casals, MenEngage Uruguay
- Tom Hornbrook, MenEngage Alliance
- Wessel van den Berg, Equimundo
- Ranako Bailey, Founder at WeTalkingBois
- Humberto Carolo, Executive Director of White Ribbon Canada
- Benedito Medrano, Gema/UFPE; Instituto PAPAI and MenEngage Brazil