Paid internship | Part time | Worldwide (remote working) | 6 month placement
MenEngage Global Alliance is looking for a self-motivated advocate for women’s rights and gender justice with a passion for digital communications and social media to join the MenEngage Alliance team for a part-time, flexible internship placement for 6 months. We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and strongly encourage those from underrepresented communities to apply.
You will develop skills and experience in critical communications work that aims to help advance women’s rights and gender equality through transforming masculinities and engaging boys and men.
With support from the communications coordinator and the wider team, you will develop content for the MenEngage Alliance social media channels and newsletter. You will have the opportunity to tap into the experiences and knowledge of the network’s 700+ global membership to create compelling content that supports feminist approaches to working with men and boys around the world.
The internship will initially take place during the organizing of the 3rd MenEngage Global Symposium, so the role will include implementing supporting the event communications, including helping to prepare a weekly highlights email based on the symposium events.
This role can be done remotely, wherever internet connectivity permits. You will need to be in close, regular contact with the communications coordinator using video calls, instant messaging, and email – as well as support from the wider MenEngage Alliance team.
About MenEngage Alliance
MenEngage Alliance is an international network of civil society organizations working to transform unequal power-relations and dismantle patriarchy through transforming masculinities and engaging men and boys to advance women’s rights and gender justice for all. The Alliance unites civil society organizations, activists, academics, and other stakeholders from more than 700 organizations across 72 countries, working together through country and regional networks.
The Alliance plays a pivotal role in shaping the discourse and agenda on transforming masculinities and engaging men and boys within the broader movement for women’s rights and gender justice, particularly in the areas of gender-based violence prevention, advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights for all, redistributing unpaid care-work, and advancing gender, peace and security. The Global Secretariat is a small team who run the daily operations of the Alliance.
You will be working closely with the communications coordinator to:
- Support in compiling the weekly Ubuntu Symposium highlights email
- Draft articles for the MenEngage Alliance website
- Identify ideas for social media posts, and draft content for the MenEngage Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram feeds.
- Plan content based on upcoming campaigns, global awareness-raising actions, and in solidarity with other social justice actions and actors.
- Develop and update the social media guidelines for MenEngage Alliance.
- Join team calls and meetings as needed.
- Support drafting and coordinating content for the MenEngage newsletters.
- Other tasks can be discussed based on your individual skills and interests, as well as the priorities for MenEngage Alliance.
Skills and experience
The following list shows some of the skills and experience you will need. If you do not feel you have all of these skills, please consider applying based on the skills and qualities that you feel make you a relevant candidate for this internship:
- As this is a remote role, it requires strong personal time-management and communication with colleagues.
- Strong organizational skills, time management, attention to detail, interpersonal skills, and self-motivation.
- Fluent English.
- Experience managing public social media accounts for organizations or groups.
- Demonstrated abilities and skills to produce quality written content.
- Demonstrated abilities and skills in researching and processing information from a broad range of sources.
- Strong analytical skills related to social and political norms and structures.
- Interest and understanding of feminism, women’s rights, and ‘men and masculinities’ work.
- Education or work experience background in communications, gender studies or related fields will be an advantage.
The internship is 4 to 5 days per week and the number of hours can be mutually agreed, along with the financial remuneration and entitlement to paid leave. All applicants are expected to be able to work for 6 months.
Please submit a motivation letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Social media and communications internship’ by Wednesday 14 April 2021.