Becoming a member
Are you interested in joining a global community working to end patriarchal masculinities and unequal power relations, protect human rights, and contribute towards gender equality, LGBTIQ rights and social justice for all?
This page explains what it means to be a member of MenEngage Alliance and how to join.
Who can become a member of MenEngage Alliance?
Membership of MenEngage Alliance is open to civil society organizations that work or with an interest in transforming patriarchal masculinities and working with men and boys for women’s rights, gender justice, LGBTIQ rights, child rights, climate and social justice for all.
In addition, MenEngage Alliance is open to individual members. Individual members can be independent consultants, academic researchers, activists, or others with a relevant interest in this work.
For many members, transforming masculinities is the main focus of their work. For others, it is a complementary part of their broader work for women’s rights, gender justice, LGBTIQ rights, health and rights, child development and rights, violence prevention, youth leadership, social development, climate justice, or other related areas.
Why become a member?
MenEngage Alliance fosters a community of practice among our diverse membership. For many members, the sense of belonging to this international community is an important motivating factor to be involved, and one of the rewarding benefits of membership. Joining as a member is an opportunity to become more connected with this community – in your country, region as well as all over the world.
As a member you will be able to:
- Join more than 1,000 members from across 88 countries to advance our collective vision and mission.
- Network and partner with like minded organizations and experts from across the world who may be doing similar work to you.
- Join relevant meetings (in-person and online) in your context and globally (where available).
- Show your public endorsement for our Core Principles, Code of Conduct, and Accountability Standards and Guidelines – the three agreements that underpin our shared work.
- Join, participate and engage in the MenEngage Alliance Working Groups. These take place online or in-person at national, regional and global levels, addressing issues of interest. They are relevant spaces for sharing your expertise, strengthening your understanding and knowledge on a particular topic or strategy, and shape collective action.
- Take part and contribute to the collective interconnected advocacy strategy at country, regional and global levels, while helping to shape the political agenda of MenEngage Alliance.
- Receive solidarity and support of a like-minded global community.
- Connect with other members and partners in our global email group (listserv) and social media groups to share resources, opportunities, experiences, and perspectives. Many regional networks have additional online spaces for you to connect.
- Stand for election to the Steering Committee or Board of your country or regional network.
- Be featured on our website, including on the ever-growing interactive map of our global community.
- Be part of a community that promotes mutual accountability and collective learning and growth.
- Take part in shaping the politics and landscape of the work to transform patriarchal masculinities and work with men and boys in gender equality. Be part of the bottom-up decision making process of MenEngage Alliance.
- Share and amplify your work, experiences, and evidence, including through the opportunities to present at various sessions and meetings.
What are the responsibilities of being a member of MenEngage Alliance?
Being a member of MenEngage Alliance comes with a commitment to our collective Core Principles and Code of Conduct. Together, they form the foundation for membership with MenEngage Alliance.
Beyond simply agreeing to these documents, being a member of MenEngage Alliance means actively committing to upholding and promoting our values, to ‘walk the talk’ on the vision of equality and justice, and improving accountable practices in your work and in the broader field. We aspire to foster spaces where we can do this collectively – by sharing knowledge, experiences and resources – and individually, by investing time and effort on personal growth. Being a principle based network, we take these responsibilities seriously and aim to foster a culture of accountability.
MenEngage Alliance is a decentralised network, with national and regional networks. Some regional networks may have additional requirements or core documents that members sign onto, based on the needs identified and agreed for their contexts.
How does membership work?
Membership of MenEngage Alliance is decided at the level of country and regional networks, following our decentralized organizing model. This means that all the membership applications we receive are assessed and decided by the respective country and/or regional networks depending on where the organization or individual is based. Once approved, all members of country or regional networks are automatically members of the global MenEngage Alliance.
If there is no national or regional network where you are based, you are still welcome to apply to become a member that is not affiliated with any particular national or regional network. In these cases, the application is processed by the Global Secretariat and Global Board.
There is no membership fee for being part of MenEngage Alliance, with the exception of the North American regional network where a fee is applicable.
How to apply to become a member of MenEngage Alliance
To apply for membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a member application form. In the application, you will have an opportunity to share about what you do, including your mission, vision, and objectives. You will also be asked to affirm your commitment to the key documents of the Core Principles and Code of Conduct so please review these documents carefully before starting the application process.
Once received, your application will be shared with the relevant national or regional network, who will assess the application. This can take several weeks or more depending on the processes and timeframes that are in place across the national and regional networks.
Once the review and assessment process is complete, you will be informed by the relevant coordinator and/or Chair of the national or regional network, or someone from the global secretariat.
If you have any questions or comments on the application process, please email email@example.com.