The aim of these documents is to facilitate the work of MenEngage Alliance members and activists by providing them with advocacy tools that compile the content of critical policy frameworks within international and regional- UN and Human Rights resolutions, conventions and outcome documents. It maps the contents of these normative frameworks for language focusing on men and masculinities, social norms change, and dismantling patriarchy specifically.
We have been compiling this information over the last several years, focusing on central international and regional human rights, development and gender justice normative frameworks. In doing so, we are observing changes in language towards a more nuanced frame on work with men and boys, moving from merely stating the need to engage them as a constituency, to a more political intersectional feminist framework, which addresses as a central objective, the goal to dismantle patriarchal social norms and gendered power dynamics and how men and boys, and transforming patriarchal masculinities – support or impede this process.
This includes articulating the various roles and responsibilities that men and boys have towards gender justice, and increasingly nuancing the ‘how’ of their contributions and accountability towards the realization of women’s rights, LGBTIQ rights and gender justice for all.
This has been the product of working through accountable advocacy practices to ongoingly connect with and respond to, the concerns of feminist advocates, who seek to have the work on men and masculinities contribute to political intersectional feminist agendas which centralize a gendered power analysis as the basis for their advocacy efforts. As well, for advocates who contribute expertise on men and masculinities, to carry out this work in responsible and accountable ways in the policy space, which has been a key foundational principle for our conceptualization of what we have come to term – accountable advocacy.
This series of documents include key texts from relevant international normative frameworks related to the work and engagement of men and boys. The content of the following documents gathers extracts from official documents from global and regional resolutions and key treaties.
Mapped instruments include:
- Language from the Beijing Platform for Action and UN CSW agreed conclusions (1995-2022) on the roles of men and boys in achieving gender equality
- Mapping of language from UN Human Rights Council resolutions (2008-2021) on gender transformative approaches and the engagement of men and boys in achieving gender equality
- Mapping of language from the CEDAW Convention and General
- Recommendations (1979-2021) on gender transformative approaches and the engagement of men and boys in achieving gender equality
- Mapping of language from the International Conference on Population and Development Programme of Action (1994) & 21st Special Session United Nations
- General Assembly on Population and Development (1999) on gender transformative approaches and the engagement of men and boys in achieving gender equality
- Language Mapping from United Nations Security Council Resolutions (2019), centering Women Peace and Security Agenda Resolutions (2000-2015) on engaging men & boys and transforming masculinities in peacekeeping & peacebuilding
- Language Mapping of Beijing+25 Regional Review Conference Outcome Documents (2019-2020) & the Political Declaration on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Fourth World (2020) on engaging men and boy and transforming masculinities in achieving gender equality
- Language Mapping of Key Regional & Sub-Regional Frameworks on the Engagement of Men and Boys and Transforming Masculinities for Gender Justice
- Language mapping of Climate Resolutions at the Human Rights Council (2014-2021) and other Frameworks (ENG/SPA/FRE)
Who will find this resource useful?
These language mappings are useful for activists, advocates, researchers, and policy makers. They provide key policy wording on engaging men and boys, and masculinities in relation to gender justice efforts.
Find out more
About the authors
These documents have been compiled by the Global Secretariat of MenEngage Alliance. They were selected from the official texts established in international conventions and resolutions issued by regional and global bodies.